Saturday, April 17, 2021

Nasi Goreng




I am part Indonesian and grew up eating lots of Indonesian dishes. I love Indonesian food (actually I love all Asian food). There isn't really one way to make Nasi Goreng. Indonesians actually just make it by putting together whatever leftovers they have laying around. So you are going to find lots of different versions of this dish. This is one way I make it but it always tastes a little different. I don't really have amounts, I just throw it together. But here is the idea. 

Ingredients:

Onion (small)
Garlic
Chili's (Sambal)
Salt
2 Eggs
Rice (Cooked and cooled for several hours or day old)
Left over seasoned chicken from Chicken Satay
Ketjap Manis (Sweet thick soysauce)
Soy sauce
Cole slaw mix

Fried eggs


Put the cut up onion, garlic, salt and some sambal in a mortar and pestle and turn it into a mush. Heat up some oil in a wok and saute the mixture. While this is going push the mixture to the side and put 2 eggs into the wok and fry them up eventually mixing them with the spices. When I made a last time I added some left over seasoned chicken that was too small to put on a skewer for the satay. Next add the cooled dried rice. Make sure all the rice is coated with the mixture. Then add the Ketjap Manis. Again make sure the rice is nicely coated. Add a little regular soy sauce. I like to add some cole slaw mix just to add some vegetables. You can add any vegetable you have laying around. 

Cook up a some fried eggs to serve with the Nasi. I also like to add cucumber, tomato, fried onions, and Krupoek (shrimp chips) as a side. We also serve it with Peanut sauce and Chicken Satay. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mediterranean pasta salad

  INGREDIENTS    1x 2x 3x ▢  8   ounces  pasta (I used Orzo) ▢  1   English cucumbers   diced ▢  1   pint   cherry tomatoes   halved ▢  1   ...