Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Sourdough Bagels




                                         


INGREDIENTS:

*1 cup active, bubbly sourdough starter
*1.5 cups warm water
*1 Tablespoon brown sugar (I used white in the video)
*2 teaspoons salt
*3.5 to 4 cups flour

I normally only use weight measurements for my sourdough but it worked just fine to do cups in this recipe. The dough was quite sticky (which I preferred). I just floured the surface a little when I shaped the bagels and that worked just fine. 

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Combine water, sourdough starter, sugar, salt, and flour. Mix and knead all ingredients together until dough forms a smooth and elastic dough.
2. Cover dough and let rise until it has doubled in size. (This step could take 5-10 hours depending on ambient temp and strength of starter). This step can be done in the fridge over a day or two! (I put all the ingredients together and let it rise overnight)
3. Dump dough onto lightly floured surface.
Divide into 8 equal portions. Roll each portion it o a snake, then circle it around and make a circle out of the dough. Pinch connecting sides together to make a smooth circle out of the dough.
4. Cut out 8 squares of parchment paper and set each circle of dough onto each parchment square. Cover and let rise until doubled in size (This might take a few hours - but so worth it!! They will be so much softer on the inside if you wait)
5. Bring a pot of water to boil. Add 2 tablespoons baking soda and 1/4 cup honey (I used brown sugar instead of honey - worked just fine!)
6. Gently drop the bagel dough- parchment paper and all- into the water. Parchment will loosen as it gets wet and you can remove it from the pot. Let the bagel boil for about 45 seconds per side.
7. Set boiled bagel dough directly onto a baking sheet either greased or lined with parchment paper. (Draining pan not necessary, disregard what the video shows) 🤪
8. Brush each bagel with an egg wash and then desired toppings. I find that it works best to use butter instead of egg wash on the cinnamon sugar bagels. We especially LOVE the jalapeño cheddar bagels!
9. Bake at 425 for 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let them cool for at least an hour! (I know this is hard but they will tast so much better if you wait!!!!) 

Enjoy!

Credit: Amberskitchen.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Mediterranean pasta salad

  INGREDIENTS    1x 2x 3x ▢  8   ounces  pasta (I used Orzo) ▢  1   English cucumbers   diced ▢  1   pint   cherry tomatoes   halved ▢  1   ...